Friday, September 9, 2011

Interview : KC Lau


  1.  Tell us a bit about your childhood and how it affects your today's practice on personal finance ?
My parents are frugal. So I think I learnt a lot about saving money from them. Since money is scarce during that time, I learn to make money since primary school.
The first time I made money is through selling rubber tree seed to some seniors. That time, I was only standard 3 and some standard 4-5 seniors bought some special rubber tree seed that I found near my place.
The seed has really hard and solid shell which is advantageous at some games we used to play. The seeds cost them RM0.20 a piece. The smaller ones cost even more.
I also start teaching piano at the age of 16 and this part time job pays through my exam fees and also university degree program.   
 
  1. Answer this question without checking or asking for references : If you can remember, what is your Zodiac and Astrology signs ?
Don't know 
  1. What are the things you like to do during your free time, ie. your hobbies ? And what do you most dislike about ?
watching movie, making music, traveling and playing basketball and volleyball 
  1. What is your favorite colors and numbers ? Any most dislikes ?
green and 9. Nothing to be hated. 
  1. What is your favorite food ? What do you hate most ?
Laksa. Hate nothing though. Insect maybe.
  1. What is the last thing you do before go to sleep ?
Read 
  1. What is the first thing you do when you wake up ?
Toilet.
  1. If you were to build a personal finance portfolio for a young man who has similar life path as yours, what will it be ?
I would say to spend the money on getting education that will let him make money on his passion. 
  1. You met someone in a social party, describe what you do in 2 to 3 sentences.
Smile. Introduce myself and ask what the person does. 
  1. How much time do you spend on your personal finance blog ?
One hour a week, maybe less. I used to work on it everyday. 
  1. What is the main objective of your blog, is it initially profit oriented and who are your targeted blog readers ?
It is for educational purpose at the beginning. But now it has become profitable that I have to strike a balance between the "gives" and "takes".  
  1. What is the biggest achievement your blog so far ?
> 10,000 subsribers 
  1. Tell us one URL other than your own that your readers should read about ?
  1. How many more years do you think your blog will exist for and how do you plan to finance your blog forever if planned to at all ?
My blog will exist as long as I live because it is my name on it. I may draw up a plan for the continuation since you asked. You trigger my mind to think about this matter.
I need to set up a trust that is funded to pay the maintenance fee to keep the website online when I pass on in the future. That is not hard actually.  
  1. The world is big, many people have different point of views and emotions. If you met someone who called you geek, liar, cheaters because you yourself didn't do what you preach, how would you handle them ?
I just ignore them. I used to react but now I become smarter. Those people just doesn't worth a single minute to even bother about them. I realize that I can't please everybody. Those paying customers deserve more of my time. 
  1. What do you think about these interview questions and how this interview session can be improved ?
You always do the unexpected things, which is kind of fun to be a part of. 
  1. Would you be interested to meet other finance bloggers in person ? If yes
  • Do you smoke ? No
  • Do you drink liquor socially ? Social drinker
  • Are you a coffee lover ? Love coffee in the morning
  • Where do you stay and work ? ( Country, State, Region etc.) Penang and now in the USA.

No comments: